Crossing to Freedom

Virginia Frances Schwartz
Scholastic Canada



HERES WHAT I REMEMBER of that night up til the we had a plan. up til then we were closs to freedom. we were riding close to the border crossing between new york and canada west. the three of us were tucked in the back of the wagon buried beneath a shipment of wooly horse blankets

13 comments:

  1. Crossing to freedom was a really good book,although sometimes I found the dialogue hard to follow.I've read other books about the underground railroad and slaves escaping to Canada,and this was the best one yet.It's heartbreaking when Levi makes them leave the grandfather behind.I would definitely recommend this book to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really helped me understand what it was like to be slave escaping on the underground railroad, having to be very careful lest they be caught and be subjected to a very severe punishment, maybe causing permanent damage to their body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad in the end everyone made it to the other side (Canaan) and that Solomon made a lot of friends even though he had to move from place to place for along time!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this book was really kind of inspiring that you shouldn't be held in slavery so that's why i thought his book was really great. And also when i was reading the book i was sad that people discriminate and segregate people just because they are black or white like this other book "You Can't Lose" which is about a boy who was black and people said that he couldn't win because he was a black kid. So this book was really inspiring and connects to the book "Crossing To Freedom".

    ReplyDelete
  5. this book was very suspensfull and inspiring because its about black people trying to escape america and go to canada so they don't have to be slaves

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book Crossing to Freedom is very inspiring because it is about how three slaves run away from slavery and try to make it safely to Canada. It teaches about a true subject and it is exciting because you don't know if they will be safe or get caught and have to go back into slavery. I recommend this book but sometimes it might be complicated. Also this book helps you to envision the different adventures of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry,

      You make some great points here about how excitement pulls a reader along to learn more about a subject. And there ARE a lot of complications!
      This book is MEMOIR, NOVEL, ODYSSEY AND A JOURNEY book. Which format do you think CROSSING TO FREEDOM is and why?

      Virginia Frances Schwartz

      Delete
  7. This book was great because it showed what blacks went through when they were in slavery and running away. I's also sad because it shows what people go through when they are waiting for a family member

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is very effective because of its point of the story because there are three slaves who are trying to make it to Canada.I also agree with Simon, it can also be very sad because it shows what people go through as they are waiting for a family member

    Julian.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your comments! You are insightful readers and all of you are absorbing the themes -- the reasons I was compelled to write this book. Revealing the horrors of slavery was one of my reasons -- particularly the impact it made upon families. It burst them apart and separated them, often forever as in the case of Solomon's mother who was sold away at auction. Isabeau refers to this separation (between Levi and Grandpa Jacob) as "heartbreaking" and both Simon and Julian as "sad". No one seemed to notice how the slaves reacted to such a loss in the 1800's since slaves were regarded as "three fifths of a person", not a whole person.
    I am wondering who your favorite characters are. Mine is Old Ezekiel, the keeper of the stories who Solomon first meets in Buxton's cemetery. I really felt his presence when I wrote this book. He seemed so wise and all knowing and even a little spooky!~ Solomon had to really trust him and get over his fear to even approach him. And look what happened when he did. The meeting between these two characters led to big changes in Sol, his learning, and to his writing a letter to find his father. Wow!
    Have any of you met someone who influenced you and made you realize something? Such a person is called a mentor. I am fortunate to have had a grandmother who was a mentor to me. I loved her wisdom, her humor and her sayings.
    I am glad many of you thought the book "suspenseful", like Kohel & Henry, and inspiring like Jenny & Kohel. Can you pinpoint a line or passage that you can find evidence of this in?
    VIRGINIA FRANCES SCHWARTZ CROSSING TO FREEDOM

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favourite character is Levi because he is resourceful, brave, and always persevering. It was shocking to find out how awful slaves were treated and, as Virginia Frances Schwartz said, regarded as "three fifths of a person". I would also like to say thank you to Virginia Schwartz for her commitment to commenting on this blog. I can see that she put a lot of effort into this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabeau,

      I enjoyed Levi too. He brought excitement and strength because he never gave up. Solomon needed a friend like him.
      Thanks for your support. You are also someone very committed to learning and sharing your knowledge on this blog. You must be a great reader!

      Delete
    2. I really enjoy reading and activities related to reading and I think that is why I was so drawn to silverbirch.

      Delete