Case Closed? Nine Mysteries Unlocked by Modern Science

Susan Hughes, Michael Wandelmaier
Kids Can Press



AN EXPLORER AND HIS CREW
set off to the cold reaches of the Arctic Oceans in search of the Northwest Passage -- and are never seen again. An airplane and its passengers are within twenty minutes of the runway - and never land. An ancient city, alive with traders and camel caravans, flourishes in the desert for centuries - and then is then gone in a swirl of sand.

12 comments:

  1. Case Closed is a very good book.It had a well-written text and superb illustrations.I first saw the book in my classroom,and what intrigued me was the title.When I read the book,I was even more surprised because it was very informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabeau,

      I'm so glad you though my book was well-written, and I totally agree about the illustrations. Michael did a terrific job. The art just seems to glow!

      Thanks for posting,
      Susan Hughes (author of Case Closed)

      Delete
  2. i agree with isabeau but to add to it , it left a mystery behind for you or someone else to uncover in every story.


    MARK$$$$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,

      The idea of making this process a "mystery" with cases to be solved came long after I decided I wanted to write a book about finding answers to mysteries of the past. I like it because it helps connect the reader to what I'm writing; it gets the reader thinking about whether the mystery will be solved ... or not!

      Susan

      Delete
  3. There are so many strange things in this book... but they are all so interesting!! I really enjoyed reading about the 9 mysteries that they researched and "unlocked". I think that it was a really good idea to leave amystery behind, as Mark pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book because of all the mystery in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this book a lot, it starts off by telling a little story then the person/people stumbles on something and the mystery opens, then modern science helps uncover the mystery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabeau, Charlotte, and Simon,

      You all seem to like the mystery aspect of this book. I agree that it is important. It helps us realize that scientists are trying their best to find out about things that have happened in the past but they don't always find out the whole truth in one go! Sometimes they find the answers to a few questions -- and then even more questions are sparked! Chipping away to find the answers can be a slow process, not exciting all the time, but exciting when there is a result!

      Thanks for reading my book and including a comment.

      Susan Hughes (author of Case Closed)

      Delete
  6. I didn't like this book because it was hard for me to read it and it was really boring compared to books like don't touch that toad for example that was funny and true. instead of it be boring and not showing it to us in diffrent ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abel,

      I'm sorry you didn't enjoy my book, but I'm really happy you liked Don't Touch that Toad. Different books appeal to different readers. I belong to a book club and sometimes when I show up to discuss our book of the month, I'm sure that everyone will have loved the book as much as me -- but often others haven't! That's okay. We enjoy discussing what we liked about it and what we didn't like. It helps us learn more about writing and reading! It helps us realize that we have different tastes.

      All the best,
      Susan Hughes (author of Case Closed)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for answering and talking about our comments. To me, it is really valuable that you took the time to reply thoughtfully to our comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Isabeau,

    It is my pleasure! I am so glad that your teacher set up this blog site and let me know about the opportunity to chat with your class about my book.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete