Don’t Touch That Toad & Other Strange Things Adults Tell YouCatherine Rondina, Kevin SylvesterKids Can Press I'm sure you've heard a lot of weird things from your parents, your grandparents or even your teachers. you'll probably find some of these sayings here within these pages. some of the expressions will thrill you, some will make you think, others will gross you out. |
We found this book really interesting. This book had a lot of cool facts and we found it both surprising and humorous. We showed our parents this book and they were surprised also because of all the sayings that they thought were true. This book also made us think twice before letting a dog lick our face because the saying that says a dogs mouth is cleaner then a humans was not true.
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh!!! i love this book it is so cool how it tells you if what your parents are telling you are true or false and coolest of all you decide e.g. (this is out of the book) eating too much sugar will make you hyper.... FALSE that is so cool to know!!!
ReplyDelete-Breann :op :o)
this book was very interesting because it showed all these sayings tell you where they come from
ReplyDeletedon't touch that toad is about 1 page mini info bits telling you about interesting funny facts even that sugar doesn't make you hyper! kevin sylvester rocks and he illustrates the book. every aspect of this book was perfect. MARK$$$$
ReplyDeleteI found this book to be very surprising, I mean some of the different pages got me thinking, I would of never been able to find out this information alone. So, it was amazing to me to read some of the different articles. I had to acknowledge the illustrations, I mean, come one it was Kevin Sylvester and I always find his illustrations hilarious yet detailed. I really made text-to-self connections with this book, especially at the end in the,"Parentisms: An Overview," because my mom and dad say stuff like,"I can see everything you do, I have eyes at the back of my head." Overall, I found this book a pleasure to read and will love to read again!
ReplyDeleteI loved this book!!!!I can definitely see why Kevin Sylvester has THREE books nominated for Silverbirch!!!The illustrations are amazingly detailed,but at the same time really,really,really,funny!!At the end,the Parentisms:an Overview,was really funny,because I've heard my parents say things like "if you can't finish your dinner,you can't have dessert" and "I have eyes in the back of my head" so many times!!!!!!There were so many cool facts in the book!I confess that I could NOT stop reading it until I finished the book.I would recommend this book to EVERYONE.Once more,Kevin Sylvester has done an AMAZING job writing and illustrating a book!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree Isabeau when you mentioned the part in your comment about how you can see why Kevin Sylvester has 3 books nominated for Silver Birch I think that is a great point to bring up!
ReplyDeleteThanks Paige I thought it was a good point to bring up too!
DeleteI really enjoyed reading this book because i liked how the author writes about how sometimes your parents tell you something and you don't know if its true.Once you read this book , you will know a bunch of funny facts that you can't really find on the internet and the next time your parents tell you something will happen if you do something , then you will know if it is true or not.
ReplyDeleteJulia
This book was realy neat. When i was reading it I learned that there is no 5 second rule if you eat food off the floor it is always bad because it picks up bacteria
ReplyDeleteADAM6
I thought that this book was really awesome because it gave really cool facts that you couldn't just hear any where and it also the facts really go you to think about things that you do. Those are just some of the reasons I was really passionate about this book and I hope that everyone is encouraged to read this book, also liking it just as much as I did.
ReplyDeleteI thought this book was good because the things in the book is what my parents usually say to me so i thought it was funny yet good.
ReplyDeletethis boo is a book i would recommend to others i really like the part about the headless chicken that lived for a very long time headless
ReplyDeleteI really liked this book because it was funny and made me think about what I was reading and if my parents had actually said some of those things and most of them they had told me. Nevertheless, the one I liked out of the ones I read was "Don't swallow bubble gum because it takes your body seven years to digest." When I read that I thought that it would be true like parents were right but when I saw how it said false I actually read it to them and they said oh? Therefore, you can swallow gum but it is a better idea to just throw it out. The best part about this book I think for me is that it gives me facts about whether my parents are telling me something that’s true or there telling me something that is false but they might not even know that what there saying is wrong but I think something they know is wrong and right. If I were to meet Catherine Rondina I would ask her what was the idea for the book Don't Touch That Toad was it when you were young your parents kept telling you this so you just wanted to see if they were right or wrong?. I would also want to ask Kevin Sylvester what you felt like when you were drawing the pictures.
ReplyDeleteThis book is really funny, I'm probably going to vote for it, it says statements then says if its true or not, for example it says chickens can live without there heads then on the opposite page it says true then says something backing up the answer
ReplyDeleteThe Book 'DON’T TOUCH THAT TOAD & OTHER STRANGE THINGS ADULTS TELL YOU' Is A Really Awesome Book! It Tells You A Lot Of Facts Of Things That Your Parents Or Adults Might Of Told You. My Favourite Saying Was "Don't Go Outside With Your Hair Wet Our You'll Caught A Cold" Because My Parents Always Tell Me That, So When I Showed Them The Book They Had Nothing To Say When I Turned The Page Over And It Said FALSE, They Just Walked Away. After That I Felt So Appreciate. :P
ReplyDeleteBernadette :)
I liked this book because it was some of the the things my parents tell me on day i try to get aay with something in the book so i thought this book was interesting in a way.
ReplyDeleteTHis book was really interesting becauseit those things are true and my dad really does tell me things like that
ReplyDeletesnyways this book was awesome
I really enjoyed reading this book, I loved how all the facts were over exaggerated. After I finished reading it I made my mom read it and showed her that a bunch of the things she says to my aren't true:D
ReplyDeleteThis book was funny and interesting and the reason I liked was because my parents say these things to me alot and and even thoe it was funny it was true. and that's the reason why I like don't touch that toad.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book in silverbirch is the book don’t touch that toad and other strange things adults tell you. The only reason I really enjoy reading this book is that I can really relate to the book especially in the back of the book there are a bunch of phrases parents tell us that either they do not want us to do or they do not like what we are doing. Some of the phrases they say are do you think I’m made of money or do you think I was born yesterday. Also some of the things that are in the book are don’t swallow gum or else it will stay in your body for a million years but after reading this I did it and my mom and dad saw me and said Alex now the gum will stay in your body for a million years but then I told them that that is not true but what I advise everyone who does this don’t do this even if they say that you can swallow gum it is probably not the greatest idea to do. Another thing I was surprised was mike the headless chicken that a chicken could stay alive if it has some of its brain cords attached to it then when I was done reading it I went on the Mac and searched mike and there I saw him he was alive for a month. Another thing I was not surprised at was that if you go out side with wet hair or go out side with out a coat. All parents and my parents tell me it I do two things I will not get a cold. The only reason the only reason you would get a cold would be because I'm not dressed appropriate for the weather or a virus that is going around but going out without a coat or going out side with wet hair is not the reason why we get a cold so don’t blame the rain. The rhyme for the apple a day keeps the doctor away was very funny and weird here it was An apple a day keeps the doctor away Apple in the morning - Doctor's warning Roast apple at night - starves the doctor outright Eat an apple going to bed - knock the doctor on the head Three each day, seven days a week - ruddy apple, ruddy cheek. These are some of the things I really enjoyed reading in this book and when I told my parents at first they didn’t think I was right but then I read it out to them and they said that is very interesting and I said I agree with you.
ReplyDeleteI really recommend this book! It's really funny and personally I learned alot from it.
ReplyDeleteI think don’t touch that toad and other strange things adults tell you is a good book because I learnd one thing don't always believe every thing your mom and dad say.
ReplyDeleteJeremy :D
I think that it is a good book because it tells you if sayings are true or false and it actually has a lot of information.
DeleteI thought this book was great!!! I started it on Friday, and I couldn't stop reading, and I finished it on Saturday!!! I loved when I felt the suspense of when turning the page, wondering if the saying in the book was true / false. I loved the Parentisims Overview, it was really really funny!!! Some of the sayings here I've heard my perents say, like "I wasn't born yesterday, you know" and " I'm going to give you until the count of three...".
ReplyDeleteXaviera :D
I am really enjoying this book .I love it beacause it busted some myths that I THOUGHT WERE TRUE!!!!
ReplyDeleteEvan
The things that I like about it is that it talks about things parents tell you. You feel like you are in control of your parents when they say:"Do not go outside with wet hair or else you will get a cold". You will tell them that you are able to go outside because a cold is caused by a germ or virus, not the weather!
ReplyDeleteJulian